Classroom Cleaning Tips for Fall 2020
With some schools back in session and some returning to in-person classes soon, hygiene and safety will be front and center. That’s why we’re sharing five classroom cleaning tips for teachers, staff, and school administration to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Know how to clean and disinfect properly
It’s important to understand the difference between cleaning and disinfecting to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus. The difference between cleaning and disinfecting is simple:
- Cleaning physically removes germs and dirt from surfaces or objects. Cleaning does not kill germs, but does reduce their numbers and decreases the risk of germs spreading.
- Disinfecting kills germs and dirt on surfaces or objects, further lowering the risk of germs spreading infection. For best results, clean then disinfect.
To keep classrooms and areas in the school safe, first, choose a reliable surface cleaner. Follow the cleaner’s instructions for use. Remember to use clean rags or paper towels and fresh water to prevent spreading germs picked up while cleaning.
Follow it up with a disinfectant approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Follow the disinfectant’s instructions for use. Open windows and doors to ventilate the area as much as possible.
Develop a schedule for cleaning and disinfection
Frequent, routine cleaning and disinfection can reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 by killing germs on surfaces and objects. Teachers, aides, and other school staff members might opt for hourly cleaning and disinfection, or clean and disinfect between class changes or activities. Cleaning and disinfecting should also be done before students arrive in the morning and after they leave for the day, as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Staff and school administration will likely have developed a classroom cleaning tips checklist for the entire school to adhere to closely.
Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces
The CDC has a list of suggested surfaces and objects that should be frequently cleaned.
Clean and disinfect the following high-touch surfaces and objects:
- Door handles and knobs
- Desks and chairs
- Cabinets, lockers, and bookshelves
- Shared computer keyboards and mice
- Light switches
- Pencil sharpener handles
- Sinks, countertops, and surrounding areas
- Shared electronics, such as printers
- Other shared learning materials
When cleaning and disinfecting, make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Adequate airflow will protect you and students from inhaling toxic fumes. Wear gloves and other protective equipment as needed for the cleaning products you use.
Use a heavy-duty cleaner
You’ll also need to make sure to clean regularly between disinfecting, and you’ll want to ensure that your product of choice is gentle but effective.
Charlie’s Soap Natural Indoor & Outdoor Surface Cleaner tackles dirt, grease, and grime on a variety of surfaces and environments. The concentrated strength of our Indoor & Outdoor Surface Cleaner means just a small amount of it combined with water can go a long way.
However, for even more heavy-duty cleaning power, follow these tips:
- Get an empty 16 oz. spray bottle
- Add 4 ounces of Charlie’s Soap Natural Indoor & Outdoor Surface Cleaner
- Add 8 ounces of water and 1 teaspoon regular bleach
This powerful combination can effectively clean tough spots in bathrooms, play areas, and more. Simply spray the surface, scrub as needed, and rinse thoroughly.
Quick Classroom Cleaning Tips
Here are some quick tips that can further decrease the risk of spreading the virus:
- Immediately clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that look dirty
- Limit the use of shared objects, like toys or school supplies, when you can
- Keep students’ belongings separated from others
- Remind students to wash their hands (and don’t forget to wash your hands, too!)
Knowing how to clean and disinfect, what surfaces and objects to clean and disinfect, and developing a schedule to do so will help you maintain a safe classroom.
Choose Charlie’s Soap for your indoor surface cleaner. Not only is our Natural Indoor & Outdoor Surface Cleaner tough on germs, but it’s also gentle on surfaces like fabric or carpet. Our formulas are biodegradable and hypoallergenic when used as directed; no lye, abrasives, or bleach in our products! Charlie’s Soap is safe enough to be used around little ones and safe for the environment, too.