Changing some habits can be a drag while changing others can actually be easy and fun. Switching to natural laundry detergent falls into the latter category, at least nowadays. While it’s true that natural laundry detergent was at one time only sold in select locations, more expensive than a dinner out, and not all that good at cleaning your clothes, that’s no longer the case.
Today’s natural laundry detergents are widely available, extremely affordable and absolutely amazing at getting clothes exceptionally clean. Check out more details below.
Natural Laundry Detergent Benefits
There are a million benefits to using natural laundry soap – but here are a few real-world examples:
- Buy them anywhere: Even large chain supermarkets and big box stores sell natural laundry detergents these days, and you can even buy them online.
- Use less, so they cost less: The most effective natural laundry soaps are super concentrated, which means you only need to use 1 oz. or less per load. Each load ends up costing pennies.
- Powerful on dirt, yet gentle on fabrics: The best stuff works on all your laundry, even delicate and high-tech materials.
- No icky residue: Natural laundry detergent rinses clean, all the way down to the fiber. That means no itchy, icky residue – only clean, soft, fresh-smelling clothes.
- No freakish additives: Instead of chemicals you can’t pronounce and strange colors and scents you never even knew existed, natural detergent gives you non-toxic formulas with no dyes, perfumes, brighteners, or phosphates.
- Kind to the environment: Natural tends to mean biodegradable, with ingredients that are safer for the environment and everything in it.
- Safe for families: With no crazy chemicals, dyes or perfumes – natural detergents are often hypoallergenic and ideal for those with sensitive skin.
Tips for Switching to a Natural Detergent
So now you’re convinced that you want to make the switch, but you’re just not sure how to start. The first step is to get rid of all existing detergents in your laundry room, so you’re not tempted to just stick with the same-old-same-old. If you have to get new detergent anyway, you might as well make it a natural one.
Look for specific words on the label that indicate you’re getting a natural detergent. Phrases like “Live Green,” “Fragrance-Free,” and “Natural” can be a big giveaway. Also, take a quick look around the label or packaging to ensure the soap is gentle enough for the fabrics you need to wash yet tough enough for the dirt and stains you need to remove.
Go for the same type of formula to ease the transition. If you’re used to a powder detergent, go for a natural laundry powder. The same holds true if you’re used to a liquid detergent or even laundry pods. Some natural detergents come in convenient, no-muss, no-measuring packets. Simply throw the entire single-use packet into the machine, where the biodegradable outer coating dissolves quickly in water.
One final tip is to pick a brand that’s well-known and trusted. Hey, that means Charlie’s Soap is at the top of the list. Charlie’s Soap All-Natural Laundry Detergent has long been on the scene; helping clothes get cleaner and the earth stay greener. Give Charlie’s Soap a try today.